May 14, 2011

Review: Ashes (Ashes Trilogy) by Ilsa J. Bick

Summary-
It could happen tomorrow...
A cataclysmic event. An army of "The Changed."
Can one teen really survive on her own?
An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky, destroying every electronic device and killing billions. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human...
Desperate to find out what happened and to avoid the Changed, Alex meets up with Tom---a young army veteran---and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse.
This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to survive.
“Gripped me from the beginning to end—-dark, creepy and suspenseful. I loved it” - James Dashner
“A haunting and epic story of survival in a shattered world. ASHES is a must read.” - Michael Grant

Review-
Ashes is disaster done right, it has to be one of the best disaster books I have read in a long while. Everything that could go wrong does and it is masterfully plotted out. The protagonist Alex is really put through her paces as she is attacked by wild dogs, the Changed, and desperate humans looking for a way to survive. The character development is superb and the suspense of the cliffhanger chapter endings kept me coming back for more. I cannot recommend this book enough.

Publisher-EgmontUSA
My Score: 5 STARS!
Reviewed by Jim (student at Franklin High School)

Thanks to Egmont for this ARC!

2 comments:

  1. James Dashner has a blurb on it? I'll have to look into this book more since he's pretty awesome.
    Great review, Jim :)

    Kaity - Bitten Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I posted a comment, but it seems to have been deleted! So I'll re-post (and if this shows up twice . . . blame the computer gremlins).

    But . . . as in my original post, I say "Wow!" Thanks so much for your review, Jim. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and it's nice to know that all those hours spent over a hot keyboard accomplished something after all :-)

    Best,
    Ilsa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)