March 22, 2013

Review: Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy #1) by Kassy Tayler

Summary-
Wren MacAvoy works as a coal miner for a domed city that was constructed in the mid-nineteenth century to protect the royal blood line of England when astronomers spotted a comet on a collision course with Earth. Humanity would be saved by the most groundbreaking technology of the time. But after nearly 200 years of life beneath the dome, society has become complacent and the coal is running out.  Plus there are those who wonder, is there life outside the dome or is the world still consumed by fire? When one of Wren's friends escapes the confines of the dome, he is burned alive and put on display as a warning to those seeking to disrupt the dome’s way of life. But Alex’s final words are haunting. “The sky is blue.”  What happens next is a whirlwind of adventure, romance, conspiracy and the struggle to stay alive in a world where nothing is as it seems. Wren unwittingly becomes a catalyst for a revolution that destroys the dome and the only way to survive might be to embrace what the entire society has feared their entire existence.
 
Review-
 When we first started this whole read & review thing I was majorly into the ever popular Vampire thing. It would have taken a good nudge to even get me to consider a dystopian. Fortunately, I've gotten out of that very narrow-minded, awful habit. Now, I look forward to a good dystopian story. This book happens to be one of my favorite from that category. I really enjoyed this book from the first page until I turned the very last one. It starts out with an adrenaline rush of action. Never letting up through the whole story. The main character is very personable & easy to admire. Her friends, family and community add a lot to this harrowing adventure. The author does a wonderful job of putting a unique spin on their way of life and the ever increasing problems of humanity. A little rebellious blood is a good thing from time to time. I highly recommend this dystopian tale. Even if it's not you're type of book, you should give it a try. I promise you will be pleasantly surprised!
 
Publisher-St. Martin's Griffin
Reviewer Rating: 4.5 Stars
Reviewed by~Mechele
Thank you to the publisher for the donation of this book to the Read for your Future book program in exchange for a honest review~





 

2 comments:

  1. I love the cover. The colors are beautifully done.
    Think I would like this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too enjoyed this book - the domes and very cast-driven society were great sources of conflict that kept the plot interesting. Wren was also an easy character to connect with because she wasn't so broken nor so super power gifted that I couldn't see a bit of myself in her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)