November 9, 2013

Review: In Darkness by Nick Lake


Summary-
In darkness I count my blessings like Manman taught me. One: I am alive. Two: there is no two. In the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake a boy is trapped beneath the rubble of a ruined hospital: thirsty, terrified and alone. 'Shorty' is a child of the slums, a teenage boy who has seen enough violence to last a lifetime, and who has been inexorably drawn into the world of the gangsters who rule Site Soleil: men who dole out money with one hand and death with the other. But Shorty has a secret: a flame of revenge that blazes inside him and a burning wish to find the twin sister he lost five years ago. And he is marked. Marked in a way that links him with Toussaint L'Ouverture, the Haitian rebel who two-hundred years ago led the slave revolt and faced down Napoleon to force the French out of Haiti. As he grows weaker, Shorty relives the journey that took him to the hospital, a bullet wound in his arm. In his visions and memories he hopes to find the strength to survive, and perhaps then Toussaint can find a way to be free ...

Watch the official
book trailer for In Darkness
 
Review-
AWESOME!!! Read it as soon as I got it! I wish I could go over to Haiti and help fix it up after their earthquake. Shows me how Haiti is now days and how Haiti evolved but still is interesting and not just educational.
 
Publisher-Bloomsbury Publishing
Reviewer Rating: 5 STARS!!!
Reviewed by~Sierra Wells (Student at Franklin Highschool)
Thanks to the author/Publisher for the donation of this book to the Read for your Future book program in exchange for a honest review!





 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)