May 25, 2013

Interview: Wendy Higgins author of Sweet Evil & Sweet Peril

                               Interview: Wendy Higgins Author of Sweet Evil & Sweet Peril
Today we have Wendy Higgins stopping by to discuss her new book Sweet peril. Out in stores now.
 

1. How did you come up with the concept for this book?
I didn't "come up with it" as much as it just sort of hit me in a rush of inspiration. Once I had the vision of Anna in my mind, half-angel and half-demon, and then the idea of Kaidan, the son of the demon of lust, the scenes just started bombarding me, out of order. I wrote them as they came to me, and then I had to work out the plot and piece everything together.

 2. How did you come up with the characters names?
Anna is named after my good friend Ann, who I swear is like an angel on earth. Jay is a family name, which I love, and it brings tender feelings when I think of it.  And all the rest of the names were found online via baby name websites, lol!
 
3.How much are you and the characters alike?
Anna looks similar to me (but I never ever had twiggy, skinny legs like her, haha). I was naive at her age, and I fell for the bad boy, but unlike Anna, I wasn't very strong.

4.Do you read a lot and what are you reading now?
I used to read a TON, back before I was writing full time. But now most of my readings are pieces written by my critique partners. We do beta reading for each other, so I get to read the first drafts of a lot of excellent books and help provide feedback. :)  I just finished Origin by Jen Armentrout, 4th book in her excellent Lux series.

5. What made you decide to go angels and demons?
They are the "supernatural" beings who interest me the most, so I was intrigued to research and imagine what might go on in their world. I had just finished reading an adult satire called Good Omens, which had an angel and demon narrator, so I definitely had celestial beings on the brain!

6. How did the cover come about?
I have no power, control, or say-so over the cover. When asked for my initial input, I begged not to have faces on the cover, but I ended up being pleased with what the cover designer came up with.  Of course it's not exactly how I imagine them, and there is no time in the book when Anna's wearing a red dress in a spooky forest, but it captures the tone of the story, and it's appealing to the eye, so I love it.

7. So what is your next project and when is it due out?
Sweet Reckoning, the 3rd and final book in the Sweet Trilogy, will be out spring 2014.  It's in the process of edits and revisions right now.

8. Do you have a daytime job or are you a full time writer?
I'm a "stay-at-home-mom," and homemaker, so I don't get paid, but I'm kept very busy by my family

9. How did you get into writing novels and were you worried about people's reactions to your books?
I always loved writing. I wrote lots of short stories in college, and throughout my life I've started countless books, but never finished one until the idea for Sweet Evil came to me.  I was very worried about what people would think of my little brain child.  I knew it was a little controversial.  I didn't think there would be any room for something Biblically based in the mainstream market, so I was shocked when it was picked-up for publication.  I hope people will be able to enjoy the lore and romance of the story without thinking I've got an ulterior motive. I think that's my biggest fear.  But I stay far away from reviews, and just focus on the fans.

10. One last thing do you collect anything personally?
I used to collect elephant stuff, but that has tapered off since I had kids. Now I collect signed books. :)
More about Wendy:
 
More about Wendys books:
Sweet Evil
 
Sweet Peril
Goodreads
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)