September 5, 2011

Interview: Jimmy Gleacher author of Paradise Rules


Thanks so much to Jimmy Gleacher for stopping by our blog today and telling us a little bit about himself.

1. How did you come up with the concept for this book?

I was inspired to write PARADISE RULES by an actual person who performed and achieved great successes in high school even though his home life was atrocious. I was so impressed I wanted to write a book with a main character who could do the same.

2.How did you come up with the names for the characters?
I name the small characters after I people I know because people usually get a kick out of it. For important characters I use a stranger’s name to keep it fresh.

3.How much are you and the characters alike?
Many of my characters mean well, have good intentions but are also flawed and make mistakes, so in that respect we are exactly alike.

4.Do you read a lot and what are you reading now?
I read every night before bed. Right now I am reading IMPERIAL BEDROOMS by Bret Easton Ellis.

5. What made you decide to go golf instead of a different sport?
I chose golf because I love the game and am very familiar with it. It’s also a very individual sport that requires honesty and strategy and thematically that fit with the book.

6. How did the cover come about?
The talented people at Simon & Schuster did the cover for PARADISE RULES so I can’t take any credit for it. I love it though. Most authors don’t have a say in what their covers will look like, they just have to hope, so I got lucky I got such a good one. I did get a chance to design the cover of my second book, SILLY LITTLE RICH GIRL, but that’s because it was published by a small press.

7. So what is your next project and when is it due out?
The book I’m working on right now is titled, THE CURSE OF KAUFT and it’s about a burned out pro golfer who makes a deal with the devil to get one more chance to make it on the PGA Tour, a decision that quickly begins to bring him trouble.

8. Do you have a daytime job or are you a full time writer?
I teach creative writing part time.

9. How did you get into writing novels and were you worried about peoples reactions to your books?
I wrote my first book when I was studying to get my Masters in Fine Arts in Creative Writing. I never worried about peoples reactions because I was enjoying writing so much.

10. One last thing do you collect anything personally?
Sea glass that I find on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)