September 17, 2011

Review: Heart on a Chain by Cindy C. Bennett

Summary-
17-year-old Kate has lived her whole life in abject poverty, with an alcoholic father and drug-addicted mother, who severely abuses Kate. At school, her second-hand clothing marks her as a target. Her refusal to stand up for herself makes her the recipient of her classmates taunts and bullying. That is, until Henry returns.

Henry Jamison moved away six years earlier, just as he and Kate had begun an to develop feelings for one another. He returns to find the bright, funny, outgoing girl he had known now timidly hiding in corners, barely speaking to anyone around her, suspicious of even him.
Kate can’t figure out what game Henry is playing with her - for surely it is a game. What else would the gorgeous, popular boy from her past want with her?
Kate finally decides to trust Henry’s intentions, opening her heart to him. Just when it seems he might be genuine in his friendship, tragedy strikes, threatening everything Kate has worked so hard to gain. Can Henry help her to overcome this new devastation, or will it tear them apart forever?

Review-
when I started to read this book it was very sad though certain parts of it remind me of small things in my life. Like whenever in the book Kate would talk about her mom and dad yelling at the same time in my living room I could hear my mom yelling at my brother. I never read books about abuse because it is just tooo sad. But the way this book is it is almost like a story that a friend would tell you about how he met the girl of his dreams.  This story doesn't make this out to be peachy it directly tells you how it is straight up and you start to realize that not everyone's life is just like yours. Or when you think your having it ruff you always find out someone has it worse and it makes you stop and think about certain things in life. I will certainly be recommending this book to my English teacher!!!

Publisher-CreateSpace
My Score: 5 STARS!
Reviewed by~Tayler Scott (Student at Franklin High School)

~Thank you to the author for the donation of this book~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)